Impress your guests with these starters using Athens® or Apollo fillo dough.
12 sheets Athens® Fillo Dough (9”x 14”), thawed
Cooking spray, as needed
3 cups savory or sweet filling
Preheat the oven to three hundred fifty degrees. Lay one sheet of fillo on the work surface. Spray lightly with cooking spray. Repeat with seven more sheets of fillo. Lightly spray a 4-ounce muffin pan. Cut the layered fillo into four, four and a half by seven inch rectangles and press each rectangle into the pan.
Layer four more sheets of fillo spraying lightly. Cut the layered fillo in half horizontally. Stack the two halves on top of each other. Cut the stacked fillo in half to create two rectangles. Press the two rectangles into the pan. Lightly spray the top of each shell.
Bake the fillo shells for about 10 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp.
Fill the shells with one half cup of an appetizer or dessert filling.
Yield: 6 shells
|GENERAL FILLO DOUGH HANDLING DIRECTIONS|
1. Allow fillo dough to thaw in refrigerator overnight. Bring to room temperature before using.
2. Carefully unroll fillo sheets onto a smooth, dry surface.
3. Cover fillo completely with plastic wrap, then a damp towel.
4. Keep fillo covered until needed. Do not leave uncovered for more than one minute to avoid drying out.
5. Microwave butter until melted. This will give you a lighter and flakier pastry.
6. Brush each layer of fillo with melted butter, margarine or oil.
7. To prevent edges from cracking, brush edges first and then work into center.
8. Be sure to brush the last layer of fillo with melted butter.
9. Fillings should be chilled and not excessively moist.
10. Fillo may be rolled and refrozen to store when not in use.
©2011 Athens Foods, Inc. All rights reserved.